Friday, February 2, 2024

DT 159 - Birds on Dogwood Branch

 Welcome to Double Trouble Challenge 159!

The small graphic is below. Please visit the Double Trouble Challenge Blog for detailed information. 


I had a terrible time with this challenge - four hours later and I had tried every combination of colours with the butterfly stamps and stencils I have and not one of them was useable. I had to leave this card and come back to it later. 

Day 2 of still deciding what to do finally led me to this card. I die cut a dogwood branch image with flowers and inked the pieces before assembling it. I used an oval stencil mask to lightly blend Periwinkle ink around the edges of the oval and then added the branch on an angle. Two tiny blue birds were placed among the flowers. The sentiment was stamped at the bottom and the card front was adhered to a green mat and then a blue card base. 


The card below was my initial card - one that came after hours of playing with colour combinations for butterflies that I really didn't like. I thought I'd post it here anyways. 

I white embossed a flourish on black cardstock. Three tiny butterflies were stamped, coloured and die cut. The sentiment was stamped in black and the letters were coloured using the same three colours I used for the butterflies (Jade, Ballerina and Periwinkle). I placed the butterflies in the open area and added iridescent gems to the card front. That piece was adhered to a piece of Ballerina cardstock, black cardstock and then a white card base. I brushed the wings of the butterflies with a shimmer brush. 

Come and join us at Double Trouble and show us how you interpret this challenge. 

I am also linking up my card with Colour Dare as I am a member of their design team. 

You have two weeks to link up your project. 

We can't wait to see what you create!

Enjoy, 

Alyson

7 comments:

  1. Both of your cards are outstanding, Alyson! I understand about having to step away from the challenge requirements but it was worth it. In my yard we know it's spring when the Dogwood trees are blooming and the tiny Eastern Bluebirds are sitting on the fence. (Did you know that Dogwood is a symbol of our Lord's resurrection?) - Melanie R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well after all the time you spent getting to your final card I think it was worth it! I really do love the flower card, it is a wonderful use of the colors, and the way you have the branch coming off the side and framed in the oval is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of your cards - the inked shape as the background on the first one is especially pretty.

    Thanks for having me as your Crazy Cousin this month.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is absolutely so beautiful, Alyson!! And I love the black and white flourish card. I'm glad you posted that too. Lovely as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't seen your second card when we were on zoom, I thought you threw all your butterflies away. Good thing you were on zoom to complete your second card... I love the flowers and the add of the little blue birds. Both are beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards! I especially love the first one. Using the oval behind the branch is perfect. The birds and flowers are so pretty. Great job with our colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alyson! Both cards are just gorgeous! I am a bird nerd so the first card speaks to me. And it's very elegant. The 2nd card is really stunning! Not sure what you don't like about it - it came out perfect IMO.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)