Thursday, July 26, 2012

Album Contest - Layout #1

I decided to try my hand at the Album Contest this year at Convention. Unfortunately, I did not make the Top Ten, which was my goal, but at least I have five extra special layouts for my own album now! I intend to try again next year, though. 

This first layout is titled "Reach for the Stars" but the story behind it is anything but simple. The initial journaling begins to tell the story and the rest of the journaling is found behind the second page. To make a long story short, I suffer from major depression and anxiety and although it wasn't diagnosed until many years after I completed university, when I look back to my first degree, I can now see the symptoms were starting to show up at that time. I tried to hide them from my family because I was so close to dropping out of school in my second year but my father saw right through me. I expected him to blow up at me but he didn't... instead he told me that even if I dropped out at that point, I will have learned something and that was enough for him. I was totally caught off guard but his words stayed with me and helped to give me the strength I needed to complete my two degrees. I have included the hidden journaling if you wish to enlarge it to read the full story. I cried so much as I was writing this as it brings back so many memories of my father and how much of an influence he was in my life. I can only hope and pray that others are lucky enough to have someone like that in their life.
Enjoy, 
Alyson

Supplies used are all Close To My Heart unless otherwise noted: 

Paper: Lucy Paper Pack, Sonoma Paper Pack, Black Cardstock, White Daisy Cardstock, Olive Cardstock, Pansy Purple Cardstock, Smokey Plum Cardstock, Baby Pink Cardstock, Grey Wool Cardstock
Stamps: Polka Dot Alphabet, Stitched Together, Lucy WOTG, A Blossom, The Best Things, Universal Backgrounds
Inks: Olive, Cotton Candy, Pansy Purple, Blush, Versamark, Olive Marker
Accessories: Art Philosophy Cartridge, Pink Button Assortment, Designed Rhinestone Brads, Sparkles - Red, Pink and Purple Assortment, Blush Waxy Flax (ret.), Bling Assortment, Foam Tape, Liquid Glass, Designer Ribbon - Pink Collection, Sparkles Flourishes, Clear Detail Embossing Powder, Prisma Glitter, Eyelet Tool, Heat Tool, CTMH Computer Font, White Embroidery Floss, Green Thread and Sewing Machine (not CTMH), Purple and Pink Sharpie Markers (not CTMH)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful LO and beautiful story behind it! :)
    Many of us struggle with depression (yes, I'm one, too), but I haven't struggled with it all the time like you. We're thankful that despite it, you share all your talent with us.... like this layout. The combination of paper packs and CS colors is really "thinking outside the box" for me. I would have never thought to combine Sonoma with Lucy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)