Friday, June 24, 2011

Inspired Layout - from Toronto Regional Celebration

The artwork for today is a fair way down the page, but I ask that you please take the time to read the story behind it. It was a remarkable experience!

The layout for today is one that I completed shortly after the Regional Celebration held by Close To My Heart in Toronto. There were many of my extended team members there... the Bod Squad was well represented!

This layout tells the story of what happened at Regionals that was so special to me. I had been asked to present a short demo using the Kraft Borders (my favourite product from the current catalogue). After the presentation, I placed the art I had created on three different display boards for photography purposes as the colour was somewhat distorted on the screen during the presentation. Two of the boards had layouts with photos on them, so I wanted those back. One contained just cards - eleven to be exact. 

At the end of Day 2, the corporate staff were doing their final give-aways and my boards ended up in the pile of stuff to be given away. I requested my layout boards back but said they could use the card display board as a give-away if they wanted. It was suggested that the board be auctioned off to raise money for Operation Smile. That alone blew me away. The bidding started around $20 and very quickly surpassed the $100 mark. I was already in tears by that point. The price continued to rise until someone asked how much it would be to raise an even $1000 for Operation Smile. The difference from the money raised by artwork bids and other donations was $152, so a fellow consultant bid just that - $152! For my artwork! I was stunned - all I could do was sit there with tears streaming down my face. At the best of times, I doubt my abilities as a paper crafter but that sure was a boost to my confidence! I recorded the story in my journaling behind the flap on the left page. On the right page, you will see a flip flap with a photo of me, the consultant who made the bid and the board. I added a True Fit Folio to the back of the right page so I could print out all the comments that were left on the CTMH message boards regarding the presentation and the event in general. I am still getting requests from consultants who have found the Kraft Borders post on the artwork board (the pictures have been removed as I rearranged my folders in Photobucket...) They want the ideas and I send emails of the photos to people on a daily basis. Maybe that will be my next post so I can direct requests here!

I had more fun at that CTMH event than any other that I have been to - even the two conventions I have attended. (Not to say that CTMH Conventions aren't AMAZING!) It was a fairly small but really enthusiastic group (about 125, I think) and the corporate staff was amazing! 
Thank you again for such an awesome experience!  
As always, double click on the pictures to see more details. 

Enjoy, 
Alyson

Supplies used are all CTMH unless otherwise noted
Paper: Wings, Sweet Leaf cardstock
Stamps: None
Inks: Black, Sweet Leaf, Olive
Accessories: Neutral Buttons, Wings Level 2 Assortment (pleated ribbon), Sweet Leaf Ribbon Rounds, Licorice Opaques, Olive Grosgrain Ribbon, Green Buttons Assortment, Colonial White Waxy Flax, Dimensional Elements Monograms - I, N, S, P, R, E, D, Black Brads, Flip Flaps, Nestabilities (not CTMH), True Fit Folio 

1 comment:

  1. Stunning layout Alyson and such a wonderful story to be told. Regionals was so much fun and I enjoyed spending time with you and getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)