Monday, March 18, 2013

Extravaganza Entry 4 - Burlap Mini Album

Of all the entries that I submitted, this one took me the longest time to plan because I wanted it to be as interactive as possible. I had a vision to begin with but I couldn't seem to make it a reality for the longest time. I had sewn the burlap pieces together and it sat there, waiting to be worked on but I just couldn't figure out exactly what I wanted to do but once I got started, it was like a fire had been lit under me and I couldn't stop! 

There are many photos for this entry to show you all the interactive elements. I chose to use a camping theme as my husband and I are avid canoe trippers. We have been doing this for almost twenty years and we do both flat water and whitewater canoe trips. Our excursions involve both drive to and fly-in destinations. 

To begin with, I took three pieces of burlap and sewed them together. From there, I attached four of those pieces (each was almost a foot in length), using our Black Striped Grosgrain Ribbon. I purposely offset the burlap within the album as you will see by the photos below for the interactive elements. 

Front of the Album - a photo inserted into a pocket
 The photo pulled out of the pocket (my favourite campsite)
The second page (you can see how it is slightly offset from the first page)
The left side is an interactive display of some of our whitewater canoe surfing experiences. It opens up more in the following photo.  
The right side of the page is my husband cooking a meal (if I had to cook, 
everything would be burned or raw...)
Over to the next page...
 Inside this page, between the burlap pieces is a journaling card 
(I have it partly pulled out so let's take a look)
This is on the front of the journaling card. 
This is on the back of the journaling card.
Now let's return to the album. You saw the page where the journaling spot came from. It had a flip flap on it. Here is what is under that flip flap. It talks about the realities of portaging on canoe trips...
I apologize for the photo quality... Anyways, on the right side is another pocket but this one is attached using hook and loop dots. When opened it looks like this. 
More flip flaps! The first set contains a photo that if you actually turned it upside down, the only way you would be able to tell that is was upside down is the front of our canoe in the very bottom of the photo as the water was so clear at 5am that morning. We'll get to the far right side in a moment.
The other two photos are of a special island where we buried our dog's ashes a few years ago as she was our camping dog and this was one of her favourite spots to camp. The other is of a gorgeous rainbow (photos don't do it justice). The right side photo is of a moose we encountered while paddling last year. His legs go WAY beneath what you see in this picture and we were just about 12 feet away. We have seen hundreds of moose on our trips. 
Under the flip flap on the far right - yes, that is a moose walking in front of our tiny, little tent. 
The next page has an accordion flip card of my husband's camping faces - pull on the bottom of the card and flip through his faces. 
Kind of like this...
The right side just has another journaling card and some additional photos of one of our favourite spots. The loon is a symbol of Canada and they can be seen and heard regularly on northern lakes.
 This is the journaling card from that same page. It is double-sided. 
The final page is a photo of a sunset taken through some trees on a beautiful campsite.

I hope you enjoyed looking through my album! It took me a lot of thought to create and assemble it but it sure brought back a lot of memories (and it was fun to do)!

Enjoy, 
Alyson

Products used are all Close To My Heart unless otherwise noted:

Paper: Dakota Paper Pack, Black Cardstock, Pacifica Cardstock, Whisper Cardstock, Black Glitter Paper
Stamps: Camping Delights, A Journey
Inks: Black Staz-On
Accessories: Art Philosophy Cartridge, Artiste Cartridge, Burlap Ribbon, Black Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, Corner Rounder, Keyboard Kraft Alphabet, Posh Journaling Spots, Sparkles - Black and Grey Assortment, Green and Blue Epoxy Bubbles, Bitty Sparkles, Embossing Stylus, Flip Flaps - Small Assortment, Hook and Loop Dots, Computer Font - Black (CTMH - ret.), Sewing Machine and thread (not CTMH), Black Sharpie Marker (not CTMH)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)