Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Alcohol Inks - My First Attempt

I have seen so many gorgeous pieces of artwork using alcohol inks... and decided it was time to try it myself. 

There are a lot of factors to consider when using these types of ink - number one: they are permanent so they stain anything and everything that they touch. A working surface is crucial, along with a pair of gloves unless you want stained fingers for several days. Ventilation is also very important as there are fumes from the inks and you are also using a high percentage alcohol at 92%+. 

I also learned that you must work fairly quickly - and the right type of paper is essential. Yupo paper is best but glossy cardstock will work, just not as well. 

So, off I went to discover what I could do. I didn't have a low heat dryer so I was limited to straws to move the ink around as well as adding the alcohol to the inks. 

These are my final results (and I did create a few other cards but they aren't posted here). I know I have a lot of work to do to learn more. There were two other sheets that I did that I 
didn't like at all. 



It's worth taking the time to experiment with this medium - the results can be absolutely stunning. Hopefully mine will get better if I ever figure out the details!

Products used are as follows (CTMH unless otherwise indicated):

Paper: White Daisy Cardstock, Willow Cardstock, Lagoon Cardstock, Neenah Solar White Cardstock, Yupo Paper 
Stamps: Sending and Wishing (SSS)
Inks: Willow, Lagoon, Alcohol Inks: Botanical, Mermaid (Ranger)
Accessories: Alcohol Solution (Ranger), Bitty Sparkles, Sharpie Markers, Black Journaling Pen, Sending Die (SSS), Wishing Die (SSS), Hello Die (Pretty Pink Posh), Friend Die (Pretty Pink Posh), Foam Tape

Enjoy,
Alyson


1 comment:

  1. These are GORGEOUS! Your first play with alcohol inks was definitely a success! You must be so happy with how these turned out - they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)