Friday, March 24, 2017

Colour Dare 236 - Fabulous Friend Card

The challenge at Colour Dare this week is as follows: 
- White Daisy
- Black
- Pacifica
- Emerald
(ALL and ONLY these colours)

I found these colours to be a little bit of a struggle to combine... It led to some interesting attempts and at the bottom of my post, I am going to show you what I originally tried to do. That's for later, though. 

After thinking long and hard about this combination, I really wanted something with flowers - so I decided to pull out an older stamp and die set called Springtime Wishes. The background paper is from Dreamin' Big and since I wanted some sort of interest on the flowers, I chose to die cut them in black and emboss the pattern on them in white. The leaves were cut in Emerald and also stamped in the same colour. The Pacifica background is a Stampin' Up die cut. I also finished the inside of the card. 





Join us at Colour Dare, using ALL and ONLY the colours shown. 
You have until Thursday evening at 10pm EST to link up your project. 

Products used are Close To My Heart unless otherwise indicated: 

Paper: Dreamin' Big Paper Pack, White Daisy Cardstock, Black Cardstock, Pacifica Cardstock Emerald Cardstock
Stamps: Birthday Sparkles, Springtime Wishes (ret.), Say it All (ret.)
Inks: Pacifica, Emerald, Versamark
Accessories: Flower Market Cartridge, Springtime Wishes Thin Cuts (ret.), SU Die Cut (not CTMH), White Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Blue Dot Enamel and Glitter Duos, Thin Foam Tape, White Gel Pen (not CTMH)

Enjoy, 
Alyson

--------------------------

My friend, Sue Reynolds, is also on the Colour Dare design team. She and I were chatting one evening and we had both watched a video about stencilling and wanted to try our hand at it. We also both wanted to do it for this challenge. However, she mentioned it first so I didn't want to do the same thing. I tried it first, however... I sent her a picture of the BACKGROUND only of the card shown below... It was looking not too bad - until I added the birds. The mixture of colours and the pattern just didn't seem to match - it somehow looked like more of an underwater scene than trees to me. 


So, this one didn't make the cut... It will remain in my files - but will likely eventually make it into the circular file, I think. My birds appear to be drowning rather than sitting on trees like I intended... 

Maybe my next stencilling project will be more successful. 




5 comments:

  1. Alyson - I love the black flowers and funny, but I have to agree you would have been better with fishes than birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Alyson, I thought the stenciling was beautiful and didn't think you could make this color combination any prettier; but you did. You card is gorgeous and the flowers and leaves just pop against the black background. Unfortunately, since I don't have many stencils I tried cutting a few from cricut but I couldn't get a good match of two that seemed to work together...thus I'll have to hit the internet and find some already paired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyson I LOVE your card. Using a black background is fantastic and really makes those pretty flowers POP! And me too on thinking fish may have been the better choice on your other card. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ALL of your cards! The first one is so appealing because of the contrast in colors with the black background. The second has a lot of white space which is very soothing. The third one has a lovely blend of colors and no, I don't think the birds are drowning! Thanks for sharing such wonderful examples of this fabulous color combination at the Color Dare blog.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are always so beautiful! I especially love how you take the time to decorate the inside also, it shows how truly caring you are. I have to disagree with you on the second card though, I think the birds look perfect with the background. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)